Some of you may know that I volunteered as security staff this last weekend at WFTDA International Championships in St. Paul, MN. This was truly an experience of a lifetime and an item on my bucket list.
What this trip was to me, beyond a bucket list experience:
- A chance to travel and get closer to girlfriends of mine
- An opportunity to catch up with derby family from across the midwest
- A learning experience in large event production and security
- An exciting event that allowed me to focus on game play, penalty calls and word phrases used by big name announcers (relevant if I am unable to actually play in the future due to my knee…I would love to announce)
- 5.The ultimate endeavor to meet women who were my idols when considering starting roller derby and the Midwest Maidens Roller Derby league. ( Sara Problem of Grave Diggers/Rat City, Nikki Nightrain of Brooklyn Bombshells/Gotham Girls, and to see London Rollergirls! *Fangirl!!!)
I had an amazing time…..My personal excitement has no real words to explain….but take a look at this video I found on YouTube of the last jam during the championships final game.
YES, I CRIED!!!
Also, some epic photos from Quick & Derby for your viewing pleasure.
For the love of roller derby!